Sunday, June 19, 2011

Bak Chang


I like bak chang (Glutenous rice dumpling in bamboo leave).

After I successfully made them on June 6, 2011, my family and I truly enjoyed them. I made close to 75 pieces with 3 kg glutenous rice.  I think I had given away about 50 pieces to friends as a token of love and friendship.  Today, I have to make some just for the family.  These changs are kind of like my late older aunty's Hokkien Bak Chang with peanuts.

Recipe

Ingredient

1. 1 kg (2 lbs) of Glutenous rice,
soaked for 6-8 hours, brown them with half of the garlic and onion for 15 mins on medium high
2. 25 pieces of dried chestnut,
soaked for 6-8 hours, brown them with 1/4 tsp of garlic for 5 mins
3. 2 bulbs (1/2 cup) of garlic, minced
4. 1 big or shallots (1 cup) onion, diced or minced
5. 4 pieces of (Taiwanese) sausage, cut them into about 25 pieces
6. 25 pieces of medium size Shitake mushrooms
covered with water in a bowl, microwaved 1 min on high, cut the stems and seasoned with 1 tsp soya sauce, brown with 1/2 tsp garlic for 5 mins
7. 650 g (1 1/2 lbs) Pork Belly
(get them in a Chinese supermarket), cut them into about 1" wide, brown them with the rest of the garlic and onion in medium high for 15 minutes, add 2 Tbs oyster sauce, 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice power, 2 Tbs soya sauce, 2 Tbs dark soya sauce for 10 mins
8. 200 g (8 oz) raw peanuts covered with water and boiled them for an hour on
medium heat
9. 60 pieces bamboo leaves (buy them in Chinese supermarket) covered with water,
boiled them for an hour in medium heat, drained in a colander

FOR WRAPPING THE CHANG, CHECK UTUBE.  TONS OF THEM.
Wrap and tie each piece with twine.  Tie 6 pieces together for easy carry.  Cook a big pot of water enough to cover the Bak Chang for 2 hours in medium heat.  Yield 24-25 pieces.    Hours: 4 hours preparation, 2 hours boiling










2 comments:

Simonne said...

i love seeing all the pictures of food made with love :P

st said...

Simonne, you are telling me from your own experiences. I really & truly enjoy the experience. I have a great joy to taste them with my family members.
Your blog is more adventurous than mine.

As for wrapping for chang, check UTube.